Major nor'easter expected to bring heavy snow, blizzard conditions to Northeast
A storm system off the East Coast will continue to strengthen as it develops into a major nor'easter on Monday. As the storm moves up the coast, it is expected to bring snowfall of 1-3 feet or more to many parts of the Northeast through Tuesday evening, including New York City and Boston. Strong, gusty winds will combine with the snow to create blizzard conditions along and near the coast.
Hazardous Weather Conditions
7NM WSW Newport RI
Marine Point Forecast [NOTICE]
...STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM EST THIS EVENING THROUGH
- SynopsisA RAPIDLY DEVELOPING STORM WILL MOVE UP THE NEW ENGLAND COAST
TONIGHT AND TUESDAY BRINGING HURRICANE FORCE WIND GUSTS AND SEAS
BUILDING TO 30 FEET ACROSS THE EASTERN WATERS! THIS IS A DANGEROUS
AND LIFE THREATENING STORM AND MARINERS ARE URGED TO RETURN TO PORT
IMMEDIATELY! THE STORM WILL FINALLY LIFT INTO THE CANADIAN
MARITIMES ON WED...LOOSENING ITS GRIP ON OUR REGION. HIGH PRES
BUILDS IN WED NIGHT INTO THU. ANOTHER LOW PRES WILL MOVE ACROSS THE
WATERS ON FRI FOLLOWED BY HIGH PRES FOR SAT AND SUN.
FOR INFORMATION ON POSSIBLE HAZARDOUS WEATHER BEYOND THE 24-36 HOUR
FORECAST PERIOD...PLEASE VISIT WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BOSTON AND FOLLOW THE
CURRENT HAZARDS LINK ABOVE THE MAP ON THE LEFT.
- Overnight NNE wind around 32 kt, with gusts as high as 55 kt. Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Seas around 3 ft.
- Tuesday N wind 30 to 33 kt decreasing to 25 to 28 kt in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 55 kt. Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Seas around 3 ft.
- Tuesday Night NW wind 19 to 22 kt decreasing to 15 to 18 kt after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 40 kt. Snow likely, mainly before 9pm. Seas around 3 ft.
- Wednesday NNW wind 10 to 13 kt. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny. Seas around 2 ft.
- Wednesday Night NNW wind 6 to 11 kt. Mostly clear. Seas 1 to 2 ft.
- Thursday Variable winds 5 kt or less. A slight chance of snow showers after 5pm. Seas around 1 ft.
- Thursday Night S wind 5 to 7 kt. Snow likely, mainly after 4am. Seas around 1 ft.
- Friday Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming WNW 7 to 12 kt in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 23 kt. Snow likely. Seas 1 ft building to 3 ft.
- Friday Night NW wind 13 to 16 kt, with gusts as high as 29 kt. A chance of snow. Seas around 3 ft.
This forecast is for a single location. For safety concerns, mariners should be aware of the weather over a larger area.
Forecast information for a larger area can be found within the zone
forecast and the NDFD graphics.
The forecast conditions at a particular point may not exceed the criteria of a Small Craft Advisory, Gale, Storm etc.
These watches/warnings/advisories are issued for the entire zone in which the point resides and mariners should act accordingly.
HOURLY WEATHER GRAPH
NATIONAL DIGITAL FORECAST DATABASE