Heavy Lake-Effect Snow Across the Great Lakes this Week
Cold winds over the relatively warm Great Lakes will promote heavy lake-effect snow downwind of the lakes through at least Thursday. The heaviest snow will occur in Upstate New York downwind of Lakes Erie and Ontario where up to two feet of snow could fall this week.
Hazardous Weather Conditions
Light Snow Fog/Mist
- Wind SpeedSW 5 mph
- Barometer30.28 in (1026.6 mb)
- Dewpoint11°F (-12°C)
- Visibility2.00 mi
- Wind Chill7°F (-14°C)
Current conditions at
Chicago Rockford International Airport (KRFD)
Lat: 42.21 Lon: -89.1 Elev: 733ft.
Chicago Rockford International Airport IL
7 Day Forecast
- Overnight Snow. Steady temperature around 16. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
- Wednesday Snow likely before 9am, then patchy blowing snow after 9am. Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a temperature falling to around 1 by 5pm. Wind chill values as low as -16. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph increasing to 10 to 15 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
- Wednesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around -8. Wind chill values as low as -24. West northwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 15 mph.
- Thursday Partly sunny, with a high near 16. Wind chill values as low as -18. South southwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
- Thursday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 12. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable after midnight.
- Friday A 20 percent chance of snow showers after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 28.
- Friday Night A 50 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 21.
- Saturday Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 29.
- Saturday Night A slight chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 8.
- Sunday A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 15.
- Sunday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 1.
- Monday Mostly cloudy, with a high near 19.
- Monday Night A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 12.
- Tuesday A slight chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 27.
Additional Forecasts and Information
Zone Area Forecast for Winnebago County, IL
HOURLY WEATHER GRAPH
NATIONAL DIGITAL FORECAST DATABASE