Public Information Statement
Issued by NWS Springfield, MO
NOUS43 KSGF 251658
PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SPRINGFIELD MO
1158 AM CDT Mon May 25 2015
...EF-1 Tornado Confirmed in Western Ozark County...
* Begin Location...Approximately two miles west of Theodosia
* End Location...Approximately two and half miles east of Longrun
* Estimated begin time...559 PM
* Estimated end time...608 PM
* MAXIMUM EF-SCALE RATING...EF-1
* Estimated maximum wind speed...95 MPH
* Estimated path width...200 Yards
* Path length...Approximately four and a half miles
* Begin Lat/Lon...36.5859 N / -92.7058 W
* End Lat/Lon...36.6495 N / -92.6850 W
* This preliminary information was determined by a National
Weather Service Survey Team and is subject to change pending
final review of the event and publication in National Weather
Service Storm Data.
A NWS STORM SURVEY TEAM FOUND THAT AN EF-1 TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN
ABOUT 1 MILE WEST OF THEODOSIA. THE TORNADO TRACKED NORTH
NORTHEAST AND LIFTED ABOUT TWO AND HALF MILES EAST OF LONGRUN. THE
TORNADO CAUSED MINOR DAMAGE TO A MOBILE HOME AND DAMAGED OR
DESTROYED 3 BARNS. THE TORNADO UPROOTED OR SNAPPED SEVERAL HUNDRED
TREES. THE TORNADO PATH WAS APPROXIMATELY 200 YARDS WIDE AND ABOUT
4 AND HALF MILES LONG. MAXIMUM WINDS WERE ESTIMATED UP TO 95 MPH.
This information can also be found on our website at
For reference...the Enhanced Fujita scale classifies tornadoes
into the following categories:
EF0...Wind speeds 65 to 85 MPH.
EF1...Wind speeds 86 t0 110 MPH.
EF2...Wind speeds 111 to 135 MPH.
EF3...Wind speeds 136 to 165 MPH.
EF4...Wind speeds 166 to 200 MPH.
EF5...Wind speeds GREATER than 200 MPH.