Public Information Statement
Issued by NWS Wilmington, OH

Current Version | Previous Version | Text Only | Print | Product List | Glossary Off
Versions: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

000
NOUS41 KILN 221415
PNSILN
INZ050-058-059-066-073>075-080-KYZ089>100-OHZ026-034-035-042>046-
051>056-060>065-070>074-077>082-088-221815-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILMINGTON OH
1015 AM EDT MON SEP 22 2014

WHEN DOES THE FIRST FREEZE OF THE FALL SEASON NORMALLY OCCUR?

A TEMPERATURE OF 32 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT HAS OFFICIALLY BEEN RECORDED
AS EARLY AS SEP 28TH AT CINCINNATI...SEP 21ST IN COLUMBUS AND DAYTON.
HOWEVER...ELEMENTS SUCH AS TOPOGRAPHY...URBAN AND RURAL SETTING AND
PLACEMENT OF RECORDING INSTRUMENT CAN CREATE WIDE VARIATIONS IN
TEMPERATURES ACROSS AN AREA.

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TEMPERATURES ARE OFFICIALLY TAKEN AT AN
ELEVATION OF FIVE FEET ABOVE THE GROUND...BUT THE TEMPERATURE AT
GROUND LEVEL MAY BE COLDER. ON TYPICAL FALL NIGHTS WHEN FROST
OCCURS...THE TEMPERATURE AT THE FIVE FOOT LEVEL MAY READ 36 DEGREES
WHILE AT THE GROUND LEVEL IT IS ACTUALLY THE 32 DEGREES NEEDED TO
FORM FROST.

THE FOLLOWING REFERENCE TABLE WILL GIVE AN IDEA AS TO WHEN THE FIRST
FREEZING TEMPERATURES MIGHT OCCUR...BASED ON THE LATEST 30 YEARS OF
CLIMATOLOGICAL DATA AVAILABLE AT EACH OF THE LISTED LOCATIONS. AN
UPDATED GRAPHICAL PRESENTATION OF THE CURRENT STATUS OF THE NWS
WILMINGTON FROST/FREEZE PROGRAM WILL BE AVAILABLE ON OUR WEBSITE
AT WWW.WEATHER.GOV/ILN/.


LOCATION        AVG DATE FIRST   FIRST 32F IN ONE  FIRST 32F IN NINE
                 32F IN FALL     YEAR OUT OF TEN   YEARS OUT OF TEN
                                (10% PROBABILITY)  (90% LIKELIHOOD)

..SOUTHWEST OHIO

CINCINNATI          OCT 23            OCT 9             NOV 6
DAYTON              OCT 19            OCT 3             NOV 4
HILLSBORO           OCT 24            OCT 7             NOV 9
MILFORD             OCT 13            SEP 28            OCT 29
WILMINGTON          OCT 13            SEP 28            OCT 27
XENIA               OCT 11            SEP 26            OCT 27

..CENTRAL OHIO

CIRCLEVILLE         OCT 19            OCT 2             NOV 4
COLUMBUS            OCT 20            OCT 6             NOV 3
DELAWARE            OCT 9             SEP 27            OCT 22
LONDON              OCT 8             SEP 25            OCT 21
MARYSVILLE          OCT 16            SEP 28            NOV 3
NEWARK              OCT 11            SEP 27            OCT 26
WASHINGTON C.H.     OCT 19            OCT 4             NOV 3

..WEST CENTRAL OHIO

BELLEFONTAINE       OCT 11            SEP 27            OCT 25
GREENVILLE          OCT 8             SEP 25            OCT 22
KENTON              OCT 13            SEP 26            OCT 30
SPRINGFIELD         OCT 10            SEP 29            OCT 20
URBANA              OCT 11            SEP 25            OCT 28

..SOUTH CENTRAL OHIO

PORTSMOUTH          OCT 17            SEP 28            NOV 4
WAVERLY             OCT 9             SEP 25            NOV 9

..KENTUCKY

CARROLLTON          OCT 20            OCT 8             NOV 1
COVINGTON           OCT 17            OCT 5             OCT 30
MAYSVILLE           OCT 20            OCT 7             NOV 3
WARSAW              OCT 17            OCT 3             OCT 30
WILLIAMSTOWN        OCT 21            OCT 6             NOV 4

..INDIANA

RICHMOND            OCT 12            SEP 29            OCT 24
VEVAY               OCT 24            OCT 9             NOV 8

$$















USA.gov is the U.S. government's official web portal to all federal, state and local government web resources and services.