Public Information Statement
Issued by NWS Wilmington, OH

Current Version | Previous Version | Graphics & Text | Print | Product List | Glossary On
Versions: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43
000
NOUS41 KILN 091910
PNSILN
INZ050-058-059-066-073>075-080-KYZ089>100-OHZ026-034-035-042>046-
051>056-060>065-070>074-077>082-088-092315-

Public Information Statement
National Weather Service Wilmington OH
210 PM EST Thu Mar 9 2017

...FROST/FREEZE HEADLINE INFORMATION...

A temperature of 32 degrees fahrenheit has officially been recorded
as late as May 25 in Cincinnati, May 16 at Columbus and May
21 at Dayton. However, elements such as topography, urban or
rural setting and placement of the recording instrument can create
wide variations in temperatures across an area.

National Weather Service temperatures are officially taken at an
elevation of five feet above the ground, but the temperature at
ground level may be colder. On typical spring nights when frost
occurs, the temperatures at the five foot level may read 36 degrees
while at ground level it is actually the 32 degrees needed to form
frost.

The following reference table will give an idea as to when the last
freezing temperatures might occur, based on the last 30 years of
climatological data (1981 to 2010) at each of the listed locations.


Location          Avg date      Last 32F in one    Last 32F in nine
                  last 32F      year out of ten    years out of ten
                  in Spring     (10% probability)  (90% probability)

..Southwest Ohio
Cincinnati (KLUK)  Apr 17            Apr 3              May 1
Hamilton (KHAO)    Apr 19            Apr 4              May 4
Milford            Apr 20            Apr 4              May 4
Wilmington         Apr 20            Apr 5              May 4

..Central Ohio
Circleville        Apr 21            Apr 6              May 5
Columbus (KCMH)    Apr 16            Apr 1              May 1
Delaware           Apr 25            Apr 11             May 9
Lancaster          Apr 19            Apr 5              May 6
Logan              May 2             Apr 19             May 18
London             Apr 27            Apr 14             May 9
Marysville         Apr 19            Apr 4              May 4
Newark             Apr 28            Apr 16             May 14
Washington CH      Apr 18            Apr 4              May 3

..Miami Valley
Bellefontaine      Apr 25            Apr 10             May 11
Celina             Apr 22            Apr 8              May 6
Dayton (KDAY)      Apr 19            Apr 5              May 3
Eaton              Apr 22            Apr 9              May 6
Greenville         Apr 23            Apr 9              May 7
Kenton             Apr 23            Apr 9              May 8
Springfield        Apr 25            Apr 12             May 9
Xenia              Apr 17            Apr 2              May 2

..South Central Ohio
Chillicothe        Apr 21            Apr 7              May 6
Hillsboro          Apr 17            Apr 3              May 1
Portsmouth         Apr 17            Apr 1              May 4

..Kentucky
Carrollton         Apr 16            Mar 31             May 3
Covington (KCVG)   Apr 16            Apr 2              May 2
Falmouth           Apr 21            Apr 5              May 8
Maysville          Apr 18            Apr 4              May 1
Warsaw             Apr 23            Apr 7              May 8
Williamston        Apr 14            Mar 29             Apr 30

..Indiana
Brookville         Apr 21            Apr 7              May 5
Milan              Apr 28            Apr 13             May 16
Richmond           Apr 23            Apr 9              May 8
Vevay              Apr 15            Mar 31             Apr 30


Frost/freeze headlines typically begin across the Wilmington,
Ohio forecast area in a two tier process based on climatology.
Due to the recent warmer temperatures, frost/freeze
headlines will be issued on an as need basis for the state of
Kentucky until further notice.

For the rest of the area, frost/freeze headlines will likely begin
earlier than normal, but an exact start date will be determined based on
vegetation status and expected weather conditions.


$$



USA.gov is the U.S. government's official web portal to all federal, state and local government web resources and services.