Public Information Statement
Issued by NWS Portland, ME
NOUS41 KGYX 251106
Public Information Statement...Safe Boating/Beach Safety
National Weather Service Gray ME
705 AM EDT Wed May 25 2016
...SAFE BOATING/BEACH SAFETY WEEK CONTINUES...
While boating this season...be sure to get a complete picture of
The weather before you head out. Don`t be surprised by sudden
thunderstorms or other weather hazards. Listening to NOAA
Weather Radio...the official voice of the National Weather
Service...is a good way to stay on top of the weather.
The following information is an explanation of the type of warnings
you can expect to hear from the National Weather Service in
* SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY: to alert marine of sustained winds of 25 to
33 knots...or seas 5 feet or greater.
* GALE WARNING: to indicate winds between of 34 and 47 knots are
* STORM WARNING: to indicate that winds of 48 knots or above are
* HURRICANE WARNING: issued only in connection with a hurricane to
indicate that winds of 64 knots or greater are expected
* HURRICANE WATCH: issued when winds of hurricane strength are
possible...usually within 36 hours.
* SPECIAL MARINE WARNING: issued whenever thunderstorms with winds of
34 knots or higher are expected or waterspouts are expected.