Public Information Statement
Issued by NWS Wilmington, OH

Current Version | Previous Version | Text Only | Print | Product List | Glossary Off
Versions: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

000
NOUS41 KILN 291354
PNSILN

Public Information Statement
National Weather Service Wilmington OH
955 AM EDT Fri Sep 29 2016

When does the first freeze of the fall season normally occur?

A temperature of 32 degrees fahrenheit has officially been recorded
as early as September 28th at Cincinnati, and September 21st in
Columbus and Dayton. The first occurrence of 32 degrees fahrenheit
has happened as late as November 27th at Cincinnati and
Columbus, and November 25th at Dayton.

Elements such as topography, urban and rural setting and the
placement of the recording instrument can create wide variations in
temperatures across an area.

National Weather Service temperatures are officially taken at an
elevation of five feet above the ground, but the temperature at
ground level may be colder. On typical fall nights when frost
occurs, the temperature at the five foot level may read 36 degrees
while at the ground level it is actually the 32 degrees needed to
form frost.

The following reference table will give an idea as to when the first
freezing temperatures might occur, based on the latest 30 years of
climatological data available at each of the listed locations (1981-
2010).

An updated graphical presentation of the current status of the NWS
Wilmington frost/freeze program will be available on our website at
www.weather.gov/iln/.


Location         Normal First    First 32F in one  First 32F in nine
                 32F in Fall     year out of ten   years out of ten
                                (10% probability)  (90% likelihood)

..Southwest Ohio

Cincinnati (KLUK)   Oct 22            Oct 7             Nov 4
Dayton (KDAY)       Oct 22            Oct 7             Nov 6
Hillsboro           Oct 24            Oct 6             Nov 6
Milford             Oct 20            Oct 6             Nov 2
Wilmington          Oct 16            Oct 1             Nov 1
Xenia               Oct 20            Oct 4             Nov 5

..Central Ohio

Circleville         Oct 19            Oct 4             Nov 3
Columbus (KCMH)     Oct 27            Oct 10            Nov 9
Delaware            Oct 14            Sep 30            Nov 1
London              Oct 9             Sep 28            Oct 26
Marysville          Oct 22            Oct 7             Nov 5
Newark              Oct 12            Sep 30            Oct 28
Washington C.H.     Oct 21            Oct 7             Nov 4

..West Central Ohio

Bellefontaine       Oct 14            Oct 1             Oct 29
Greenville          Oct 12            Sep 30            Oct 29
Kenton              Oct 20            Oct 4             Nov 4
Springfield         Oct 13            Sep 30            Oct 29

..South Central Ohio

Portsmouth          Oct 23            Oct 5             Nov 6
Chillicothe         Oct 17            Oct 3             Nov 2

..Kentucky

Carrollton          Oct 25            Oct 10            Nov 7
Covington (KCVG)    Oct 24            Oct 9             Nov 6
Maysville           Oct 25            Oct 10            Nov 8
Warsaw              Oct 21            Oct 5             Nov 4
Williamstown        Oct 26            Oct 8             Nov 10

..Indiana

Richmond            Oct 16            Oct 2             Oct 30
Vevay               Oct 26            Oct 10            Nov 9


$$


USA.gov is the U.S. government's official web portal to all federal, state and local government web resources and services.