Area Forecast Discussion
Issued by NWS Denver/Boulder, CO
Issued by NWS Denver/Boulder, CO
Versions:
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
773 FXUS65 KBOU 271120 AFDBOU Area Forecast Discussion National Weather Service Denver/Boulder CO 520 AM MDT Sun Sep 27 2026 .KEY MESSAGES... - Drier and warm today, with highs reaching into the 80s across the plains. - Low chances (<30%) for light mountain snow above 12,000ft Monday through Wednesday. - Potential for heavy rain Wednesday and Thursday, but confidence in amounts and locations remains low. && .DISCUSSION /Through Saturday/... Issued at 1110 PM MDT Sat Sep 26 2026 A potent upper level trough will move onto the West Coast on Sunday, nudging the upper ridging over our area east. As the ridge starts to slide east, southwesterly flow will bring increased moisture at mid and upper levels from the Pacific. The higher moisture in the mountains and some weak upslope from southeasterly surface winds could produce some isolated to scattered showers in the higher terrain and areas generally north of I-76 tomorrow afternoon. While most of this activity is expected to remain on the weaker side, we could see an isolated storm or two. MLCAPE will be weak, but looking at lapse rates and DCAPEs, any storm that can get going could have the potential for some gusty winds (maybe around 40kts). The showers and potential storms are forecast to move northeast into the late evening, but no impacts are expected. The upper trough is forecast to dive into southern California on Monday, progressing into Arizona on Tuesday. As the trough moves east/southeast, moisture will continue to flow into the area, increasing PWs to around 200% of normal. A few weak disturbances will likely move through the southwest flow at mid levels, providing weak lift for showers and storms Monday and Tuesday. Widespread coverage is not anticipated with this activity, with the best chances for precip over the mountains. While coverage will be minimal, we will want to keep an eye on the localized heavy rain potential both days due to the anomalous moisture. A cold front is still poised to move through the forecast are late Monday into early Tuesday. Overall impacts from the front will be pretty limited, other than slightly cooler temperatures for Tuesday and Wednesday. Snow chances for the mountains continue to decrease as each new model run comes in. While there will likely be a few rounds of flurries and a dusting at the highest elevations, temperatures just look too warm to support decent snow totals (snow levels are generally 12,000+ft for Monday through Wednesday and SLRs are below 5). Models now have better agreement that the strong upper low will eventually move into southeast Colorado by Thursday. The main difference between models now is where they develop the surface low, impacting where the heaviest rain band forms. If the surface low ends up a bit closer to our area, we could see some wrap around moisture, bringing heavy rain potential for Wednesday and Thursday. However, if the surface low ends up too far south and east, our area will end up on the drier side of things. The exact location of the axis of heavier precip will be very difficult to forecast, and very impactful. Models are hinting at some pretty substantial rain amounts with this system, but right now, the majority of ensemble members keep the highest rain totals to the south and east of our forecast area. The best chance for heavier rain totals for our area will be in Lincoln County. All this being said, even if we don`t end up with the widespread heavy rainfall, moisture will be high enough that localized flash flooding will be a concern for any storms that pop up. This system and the better rain chances will start to push off to the east on Friday. The speed at which that system exits and the next moves in is still up in the air. The GFS wants to bring in the next shortwave and frontal system almost immediately over the weekend, however the Euro wants to delay the second system and hold onto the first for a bit longer. Either way, the weather with the highest potential impacts over the next week will be that Wednesday through Thursday time period. && .AVIATION /12Z TAFS through 12Z Monday/... Issued at 515 AM MDT Sun Sep 27 2026 Winds have been drainage through the overnight at KAPA and KDEN and KBJC has generally had light NW winds. There will be a few hour period of VRB winds later this morning. Winds will then turn to SE/SSE by this afternoon. It still looks like winds will be pretty stout- gusting to 20-25 kts. KDEN and KAPA should see the strongest winds of the three sites. In addition, there are PROB30s at all three sites for the possibility of high-based virga showers from 22z/23z until about 3z. These could bring gusty erratic winds to around 25-30 kts given soundings show DCAPE ~1100-1300 J/kg. As has been the case recently, there could be some lingering showers for an hour or two past 3z. Winds turn to an elevated drainage (8-12 kts) after the showers pass through at KDEN and KAPA. KBJC should keep a light wind with mainly a westerly component. The biggest change compared to previous forecasts is an increase in wind speeds at KDEN and KAPA starting early Monday morning as a jet moves in aloft. Winds could once again gust to 20-25 kts with some hints of even a bit stronger winds possible at KAPA starting as early as 8z and lasting through the end of the TAF period and likely beyond. KBJC should stay light and VRB through the end of the TAF period, but could get in on the stronger winds later on Monday morning. && .BOU WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES... None. && $$ DISCUSSION...AP AVIATION...MV