Area Forecast Discussion
Issued by NWS Denver/Boulder, CO
Issued by NWS Denver/Boulder, CO
Versions:
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
348 FXUS65 KBOU 280610 AFDBOU Area Forecast Discussion National Weather Service Denver/Boulder CO 1210 AM MDT Mon Sep 28 2026 .KEY MESSAGES... - Rain chances will prevail Monday afternoon through early Thursday. Highest potential for heavy rain will be on Wednesday. Best chance for higher rain amounts will be in our southeastern counties. - Rain chances decrease late Thursday, leading to warmer and drier conditions for the weekend. && .DISCUSSION /Through Sunday/... Issued at 1105 PM MDT Sun Sep 27 2026 Looking at water vapor on satellite, the upper level trough we`ve been talking about for the past few days is finally moving onto the West Coast. Ahead of this deep trough, southwesterly upper level winds are funneling in moisture from Post-Tropical Cyclone Odalys into our area. At lower levels overnight, south/southeast surface winds will continue to increase moisture at the surface. This increase in moisture combined with upper level lift ahead of the approaching trough will bring a round of showers and storms Monday afternoon and evening. Showers are forecast to move into our area from the southwest, progressing northeast through the evening. This activity is expected to be primarily rain showers, dropping anywhere from a few hundredths to around half an inch of rain. However, we could see a few storms develop in the later afternoon and evening, which could produce some locally heavy rainfall exceeding an inch. Rain chances will continue on and off through at least Thursday morning as that upper trough approaches and then sits just to the southeast of our area. A cold front will move through early Tuesday, bringing slightly cooler temperatures and the potential for surface convergence leading to a band of some heavier precip sometime Tuesday morning. QG forcing from the upper low and PWs are forecast to peak on Wednesday. This is the day we`re most concerned about. There`s still significant discrepancies on where the axis of heavier precip will form (which is expected), with models in pretty good agreement that there will be a swath of area that sees 3+ inches with this event. We will likely be right at the northern edge of this swath, meaning it could stay just to our south and east or portions of our area could see very heavy rainfall and flash flooding. Right now, Denver is sitting at a medium chance (~40%) of seeing at least an inch of rain on Wednesday, with chances increasing as we go southeast. Lincoln county is the most likely area in our CWA to see the higher rainfall totals, with a 60% to 70% chance of at least an inch on Wednesday. The forecast precipitable water values for Tuesday, Wednesday, and potentially Thursday are VERY high. Models are showing widespread PWs of 200% to 250% of normal, with potential for it to reach 300% of normal. With this much moisture, any shower or storm that can get going will have the potential to produce very heavy rainfall and flash flooding. So, even if we get missed with the main swath of heavy rain and don`t receive the widespread heavy rainfall across our area, there still will be a very real threat for localized flash flooding for any area that ends up with a storm. As for mountain snow chances, temperatures still look very marginal, which does not bode well for snowfall totals. Areas above 12,000ft will likely see at least a round or two of snow flurries in the Tuesday through Thursday time period (best chance Wed and Thu mornings), leading to a dusting of snow for those areas above 12,000ft. But chances for much more than that are low at this time. Rain chances will start to decrease on Thursday as the upper level system moves off to the east. Temperatures Friday through the weekend will warm closer to normal. && .AVIATION /06Z TAFS through 06Z Tuesday/... Issued at 1206 AM MDT Mon Sep 28 2026 An elevated drainage wind has been in progress at KAPA and KDEN over the last several hours. Recent observations in Douglas and Elbert counties show numerous locations with gusts up to 25 kts. There is a TEMPO at KAPA from 7z to 11z to account for the possibility of these stronger gusts making it into the terminal. Regardless, we expect wind gusts up to about 20 kts at KAPA and KDEN through the overnight and into the day on Monday. KBJC should remain light and VRB. A cyclone is expected to form later this morning. Models have been in good agreement that this will be centered north of the three sites. KBJC winds could lean more northerly as a result, but are overall expected to remain light and VRB until any showers arrive this afternoon. Several waves of showers are likely- starting at 20z and then lasting through the end of the TAF period- at all three sites, but KDEN and KAPA will be most favored. TEMPO groups are in place at KBJC and KDEN with prevailing -SHRA at KAPA from 20z to 24z including the potential for lower ceilings at times. This represents the period of highest confidence for these showers as of now. We have VCSH and/or PROB30 for the potential for showers and lower ceilings continuing at KDEN through the rest of the TAF period. KAPA is likely to continue to see the most numerous showers through Tuesday morning and beyond where there is a TEMPO for Monday evening. Ceilings start to lower by the late afternoon, especially by 00z Tuesday (Monday evening) and beyond. For now, there is BKN060 at KDEN starting at 6z Tuesday. These ceilings will certainly need to be adjusted in future updates. There is good model agreement that we will likely see low stratus and reduced visibility at all three sites starting around 12z Tuesday or even a few hours before then. && .BOU WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES... None. && $$ DISCUSSION...AP AVIATION...MV