Area Forecast Discussion
Issued by NWS Denver/Boulder, CO
Issued by NWS Denver/Boulder, CO
Versions:
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
098 FXUS65 KBOU 291818 AFDBOU Area Forecast Discussion National Weather Service Denver/Boulder CO 1218 PM MDT Tue Sep 29 2026 .KEY MESSAGES... - The threat for heavy rainfall will increase late tonight, continuing through early Thursday. The highest chance for the larger rain amounts will be in our southeastern counties. Uncertainty remains in exact amounts. - Flood Watch in effect for the southern Front Range Foothills, Palmer Divide, and Elbert and Lincoln Counties from late tonight through Thursday morning. - Rain chances decrease late Thursday, leading to warmer and drier conditions for the weekend. && .DISCUSSION /Through Monday/... Issued at 1053 PM MDT Mon Sep 28 2026 As of late this evening, the upper level trough is moving through southern California and Hurricane Polo is nearing the west coast of Baja California. The trough will slowly makes its way across the southeast U.S., eventually absorbing the remnants of Polo on Tuesday. Moisture ahead of and with this system is anomalously high, leading to rain chances for the next few days. Tonight, a weak cold front will move through the area bringing northerly winds and more dense low to mid cloud cover. The northerly winds behind the front could provide enough weak upslope flow along the Palmer and southern Foothills for some light showers throughout the day Tuesday. Temperatures will be slightly cooler behind the front, with temps dropping into the 60s for much of the plains. The main concern for this forecast will be the late Tuesday through mid Thursday time period. The upper level low is forecast to move just south of the four corners region early Wednesday. At the surface a low is forecast to develop just ahead of the trough somewhere in New Mexico. The path of this low is one of the main differences between models, with some taking it northeast into the Texas Panhandle and others take it more north into southeastern Colorado. The location of this low will be very important for our rain chances. If the low tracks closer to the area, our chances for more widespread precip will increase as well as the potential for higher rain totals. If the low tracks more towards the Texas Panhandle and Oklahoma, the larger precip amounts will likely miss our area. I will say, higher resolution models are leaning more towards the surface low moving into southeastern Colorado, which increases our confidence in the higher precip amounts for our southern most counties. However, the northward extent of the heavier rainfall is still very uncertain. Right now, it looks like that northward extent of heavier precip could sit somewhere near Denver, which unfortunately means that the metro is one the area with the highest uncertainty for rain totals. We are starting to get increasingly concerned about the Palmer Divide area in terms of the higher rain totals. If the low does end up moving over SE Colorado, strong northerly winds could provide decent upslope along the Palmer and southern Foothills, which could nudge it towards those higher precip amounts. Because of this we did extend the Flood Watch to include the southern foothills zone. I did consider adding Arapahoe county and Washington county to the Watch as well, but we will wait until confidence increases in the northward extent of the higher rain totals. Areas within the watch are expected to see rainfall totals around 1.5 to 3 inches, with the potential for some areas to see 4+ inches. As of the latest model runs, Denver is sitting at a 50% to 60% chance of seeing at least 1 inch of rain late Tuesday through Thursday, which is slightly higher than what we were seeing yesterday. Snow chances in the higher terrain will peak early Thursday morning as temperatures finally start to cool more aloft. Amounts are still forecast to be on the lower end (a couple inches at most), with snow levels generally around 11,000ft. Rain chances will start to taper off on Thursday as this system moves off to the east. Behind the trough, we`ll see weak ridging start to build over the area this weekend, leading to drier and warmer conditions. Models are showing a cold front moving through the area on Saturday, keeping temperatures slightly cooler and closer to normal for Sunday. && .AVIATION /18Z TAFS through 18Z Wednesday/... Issued at 1207 PM MDT Tue Sep 29 2026 CIGS will be tricky today as cloud base should be between 045 and 060, but for now FEW or SCT seem to be the most likely coverage at that height. The chance for sprinkles this afternoon and evening is under 15 percent so we left any mention out of the TAFs. North winds 10-13kts will transition to east 7-11 kts this afternoon, then southeast after 03Z. We are tracking moisture form Polo as it merges with an approaching Pacific trough. Confidence in the forecast continues to be low overall, including for aviation impacts. For now, it looks like rain should hold off until 12Z or later. BKN CIG 030-045 are expected after 09Z at all TAF sites. Best chance of rain is after 15Z at APA, 16Z at DEN and BJC, and rain chances are high throughout tomorrow afternoon and evening. It`s rare, but we are keeping a prevailing SHRA all afternoon and evening. Winds should be north to maybe northeast 8-14kt with gusts to 20kt. We do not expect any TS. CIGs under the heavier showers may drop below 020, but shouldn`t get any lower than that and VIS should be 4SM or better even in the heavier showers. Heavy rain and CIGS dropping below 020 are not likely, but for now will include with a PROB30 in the TAFs. Looking ahead rain chances will remain in the forecast through 18Z Thursday, along with continued MVFR CIGs. We should be able to transition from prevailing to TEMPO or prevailing after 06Z Thursday, stay tuned. && .BOU WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES... Flood Watch from midnight MDT tonight through Thursday morning for COZ036-041-046-047. && $$ DISCUSSION...AP AVIATION...Schlatter