Area Forecast Discussion
Issued by NWS Denver/Boulder, CO
Issued by NWS Denver/Boulder, CO
Versions:
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
900 FXUS65 KBOU 261728 AFDBOU Area Forecast Discussion National Weather Service Denver/Boulder CO 1128 AM MDT Sat Sep 26 2026 .KEY MESSAGES... - Drier and warmer this weekend, with highs reaching into the 80s across the plains. - Decreasing chances (now 10%-40%) for mountain snow above 11,000ft late Monday into Tuesday. - Potential for heavy rain Tuesday into Thursday, but confidence in amounts and locations remains low. && .DISCUSSION /Through Friday/... Issued at 1110 PM MDT Fri Sep 25 2026 While most of today`s activity has died down, we still have a few showers making their way across the eastern plains, and we expect them to continue weakening as they move east. As skies clear up and winds become light behind these showers, we could see some patchy fog develop in the northeastern counties for a few hours tonight. Tomorrow and Sunday should both be much quieter weather days, thanks to subsidence from an upper-level ridge building over the area tonight into tomorrow. Zonal flow aloft from the ridge with some downsloping will bring some breezier conditions to the mountains and foothills in the early morning, with wind gusts of about 20-30 kts across the area and gusts up to 40 kts possible for the higher elevations. Dewpoints should drop into the 20s and 30s as the ridge moves into our CWA, and our high temperatures are expected to be in the mid 60s-70s for the mountains and low- to mid-80s for the plains. With both subsidence from the ridge and drier conditions at the surface, this weekend should stay dry and mostly sunny, though Sunday afternoon and evening could see a few showers over the mountains. Models are trending slightly slower with the upper level trough/low next week. This has a few impacts on our potential weather for the Monday through Thursday time period: One, the slower trough will push our better rain chances to later in the week, lowering our precip chances (and therefore snow chances) for the Monday and Tuesday time frame. Two, the slower track could allow for the remnants of Hurricane Polo to merge with the trough prior to it moving towards our area, which would give us better moisture and rain chances for late Tuesday through Wednesday. However, models are also trending a bit further south with the low, which will keep the best rain chances to the south/southeast of our forecast area. It also looks like the change in the positioning/timing of the upper low has impacted the strength of the cold front late Monday into Tuesday. The surface troughing and front are much weaker in the recent runs compared to those over the past few days. The weaker front and warmer temperatures will impact our snow chances Monday night/Tuesday morning in the higher terrain. Snow chances and amounts for this time period continue to decrease, with chances for at least a dusting of snow lowering into the 10% to 40% range for our higher mountain elevations (generally above 12,000ft now). For late Tuesday through Thursday, models have been pretty consistent with a swath of heavy rain developing, as moisture streams into the area and the upper low progresses from the SW U.S. into the central/south central U.S. However, the placement of this swath varies from run to run. Similar to everything else, it will depend on the evolution of the upper level system and surface low. Unfortunately for us, we look to be on the northern periphery of the higher rain totals, which means that there could be a pretty tight rainfall gradient somewhere over our forecast area (or potentially even just to the south of our area, missing us), where some people see multiple inches and others just a bit further north see tenths at most. The placement of this strong gradient will likely be the most difficult thing for us to forecast, and one of the most impactful parts of the forecast. The speed of the upper level low will determine when the rain chances end for us, with some members holding onto rain chances through early Friday, while others have us drying out Thursday. && .AVIATION /18Z TAFS through 18Z Sunday/... Issued at 1128 AM MDT Sat Sep 26 2026 VFR will persist with no shower/thunderstorms to contend with. Airmass is drying and stabilizing, with only a high based sprinkle confined to the mountains 20Z-02Z. Winds will become VRB through 20Z, and will then have a tendency to become light diurnal upslope (E-SE) at speeds under 10 kts through 23Z. Those winds will then return to normal S-SW 01Z-06Z and hold through about 16Z Sunday. After that, winds will likely (>70% chance) turn more SE and increase to speeds of 15G20-25 kts by 21Z-22Z. There will be a chance of high based shower outflows with VRB winds late, but main threat (PROB30) of that would hold off til just after 00Z Monday. && .BOU WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES... None. && $$ DISCUSSION...AP/AGS AVIATION...20